Erfahrungen EXT STORIA LOK V3 – ENDURO RACING

Meinte eher die Druck bzw Zugstufe. Die wurde ja auch auf mein Gewicht angepasst. Wenn jetzt 2kg weniger sind, weiß ich nicht ab wann das sich bemerkbar macht.
Na ja, dafür gibt's ja x Clicks Einstellbereich, der deckt ja trotzdem noch locker einen großen Gewichtsbereich ab. Wegen 2 kg weniger/mehr Gewicht ändere ich zumindest nichts an der Druck- und Zugstufe. Das passiert in der Praxis ja schon wenn man im Sommer mal mit 2 Liter Trinkblase unterwegs ist.

Anzeige

Re: Erfahrungen EXT STORIA LOK V3 – ENDURO RACING
Ja wie gesagt, dass war ja nur die Frage. Aber hast schon recht das Gewixht schwankt ja schon +- 2kg alleine mit Trinkblase.

Fahrt ihr den Storia denn auch eher mit weniger Druckstufe ?

Bis auf 2-3 Klicks fahr ich den komplett offen.

Fahrt ihr den Storia denn auch eher mit weniger Druckstufe ?

Bis auf 2-3 Klicks fahr ich den komplett offen.
Ich bin ihn tatsächlich lange Zeit recht offen gefahren und habe mich erst in den letzten Wochen intensiver mit der Abstimmung beschäftigt. Nach ein paar frustrierenden Erfahrungen beim Abstimmen mittels "Bracketing" hab ich bei EXT nach dem empfohlenen Setup gefragt (LSC ca. in der Mitte, HSC 4 Clicks von offen), eingestellt und weiche seitdem nur +/-1 Click davon ab. Ich denke die HSC ist doch recht wichtig für den Gegenhalt, sie offen zu fahren war bei mir ein Fehler.

An der Zugstufe kann und konnte ich nie etwas bemängeln, fahre sie ziemlich genau in der Mitte.

Ich hab meinem Wreckoning jetzt von X2 auf den Storia Lok v1 gewechselt. Was mir aufgefallen ist, dass ich mit den Pedalen mehrmals beim Pedalieren angestoßen bin. Das war mit X2 oder anderen Dämpfern die ich davor drin hatte nicht der Fall. Hab ne 400er Feder und Sag ca 30%. Sollte also passen.

Hab jetzt mal die LSC mehrere Clicks reingedreht. Das sollte ja für Gegenhalt beim Pedalieren sorgen und das Fahrwerk damit weniger stark einsinken?

I will reply in English as after 15 Jahren it's easier for me :)

I worked recently closer with Chris Porter from UK to tune my Storia and I can give you a little of advice. In general coil shocks including Storia should sit higher in the travel while riding than air shocks - unless you have 6 tokens in your X2, but with 6 tokens you are loosing all X2 benefits of large air chamber. I also have X2 shock which I use depending on mood with Storia (on my YT Capra) and Storia makes the back of the bike sit definitely higher to degree where I had to put 10 PSI more then usual into my 36 fork to compensate! After installing Storia I noticed how crappy actually the 36er is. Apparently the RUNT from Diaz Suspension will help a lot but they sold out at the moment. If that's the case where air shock sits higher than coil you need stronger spring or revalve the LSC circuit. Now regarding Storia tunability:

• we should use max. 4 clicks of LSC from OPEN otherwise Storia is becoming harsh and unnatural as EXT uses single spring valves for compression
  • we should use max. 7 clicks of HSC from OPEN because of the same issue like above - if you running out of that range: the shock should be revalved or another spring rate used!
  • the rebound shim stack contains 10 shims (!) that's giving lots of adjustability of the stroke travel curve, you can theoretically create any damping curve of it. So you can have faster rebound on slower speeds (initial stroke) and slower rebound at the higher speeds (end of the stroke), so the shock feels less lazy at the lower speeds.

My shock was going 2 times back to Geometron Bikes UK for fine tuning and possibly will go another one, and I also went through 5 different springs :) It's not easy to get it right at the first time but once you achieve it - pays off.

I am 82kg and ended up with 400 for dry conditions and 375 for wet. Have got aggressive tune shim stack with faster rebound and little more compression than standard. It's kicking on jumps not worse than X2. It's to mention YT Capra has one of the most progressive linkage designs that means the same spring in my bike can be much "harder" than on the for example "Intense" bikes etc. Check your bike linkage ratio at: http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com

If I would be you, would never go for 325 or 350 springs. Way too soft.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • we should use max. 4 clicks of LSC from OPEN otherwise Storia is becoming harsh and unnatural as EXT uses single spring valves for compression
  • we should use max. 7 clicks of HSC from OPEN because of the same issue like above - if you running out of that range: the shock should be revalved or another spring rate used!
Does this really apply to all Storia shocks independent of the custom tune? EXT told me to start with 8 clicks LSC from open, that's a huge difference to 4 clicks from open.
Does it apply to the V2 model too?

Does this really apply to all Storia shocks independent of the custom tune? EXT told me to start with 8 clicks LSC from open, that's a huge difference to 4 clicks from open.
Does it apply to the V2 model too?
I was only working on V3 so can't say anything about V2 ( apparently they are very similar). I can confirm what I was told by Chris Porter (Geometron/Mojo) - as I was going to 10 clicks LSC from open and about 6 HSC from open ( V3 has 14 clicks of HSC & LSC in total) the shock was ok on small stuff but horrible on bigger features. 2m+ drops and bigger step-ups "to flat" felt really harsh and overdamped. It seem the Storia like to be ridden near the open area and prefers to be re-shimmed/ re-valved rather than going to far with clicks. And yes, I was told this applies to all tunes - the compression valves in Storia are the probably weakest part of it but still manageable by tuning.

I was only working on V3 so can't say anything about V2 ( apparently they are very similar). I can confirm what I was told by Chris Porter (Geometron/Mojo) - as I was going to 10 clicks LSC from open and about 6 HSC from open ( V3 has 14 clicks of HSC & LSC in total) the shock was ok on small stuff but horrible on bigger features. 2m+ drops and bigger step-ups "to flat" felt really harsh and overdamped. It seem the Storia like to be ridden near the open area and prefers to be re-shimmed/ re-valved rather than going to far with clicks. And yes, I was told this applies to all tunes - the compression valves in Storia are the probably weakest part of it but still manageable by tuning.
Thanks for explaining. I think the V3 model has the hydraulic bottom out, but compression and rebound should be very similar to the V2 model. V2 has 14 clicks of HSC and 12 clicks of LSC in total.

As far as I know the recommandation of EXT is to set the LSC right in the middle and for Chris Porter this would be in the harsher and overdamped area of the compression.

When the compression valves of a shock are the probably weakest part, it's probably not worth the money. In my opinion the compression valves are one of the most important part of a shock.

I think a lot of riders (me including) are not able to feel what you mentioned above. They spend a lot of money because they think, they get one of the best shock on the market with a custom tune for their weight and bike. What they don't know is, after having a custom tuned shock they should still continue to work with an even better tuner to find the "right" custom tune for their riding style, bike and weight - an endless story which costs even more. Maybe for non-professional riders it would be the better solution to spend less money and just go away with a wide range shock like a Fox X2.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Der V2 wurde offiziell Storia LOK bezeichnet und er ist eigentlich der Dämpfer, mit dem EXT richtig bekannt geworden ist. Den V1 kannte man noch kaum.

Das V2-Manual ist das da: http://www.extremeshox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MTB-USER-MANUAL-LAST-VERSION.pdf

Ok merci. Dann hab ich auch den ersten Ext Storia Lok (v2). V1 ist ist dann wohl dieser hier, sieht auch noch etwas rustikaler aus :D https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1394143-ext-extreme-racing-shox-storia-v1-190-51mm-tallboy

Ich kann für den V3 das Geklapper durch den dünnen Plastespacer bestätigen. Ich habe ihn jetzt auch an den Korkspacer (oder woraus der auch immer gemacht ist) geklebt. Schon ist Ruhe.

Ok merci. Dann hab ich auch den ersten Ext Storia Lok (v2). V1 ist ist dann wohl dieser hier, sieht auch noch etwas rustikaler aus :D https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1394143-ext-extreme-racing-shox-storia-v1-190-51mm-tallboy
Richtig. Genau den hatte ich vor dem LOK.

IMG_20180404_190634_544.jpg

Ich kann für den V3 das Geklapper durch den dünnen Plastespacer bestätigen. Ich habe ihn jetzt auch an den Korkspacer (oder woraus der auch immer gemacht ist) geklebt. Schon ist Ruhe.
Das hängt wohl stark davon ab wie der Dämpfer im Rahmen steht/liegt. In meinem Fall mit nahezu horizontalem Dämpfer bzw. hinten leicht nach unten geneigt, rutsch der Plastikspacer nur bei ganz steilen Abschnitten mal nach vor - klappert aber nicht.

Thanks for explaining. I think the V3 model has the hydraulic bottom out, but compression and rebound should be very similar to the V2 model. V2 has 14 clicks of HSC and 12 clicks of LSC in total.

As far as I know the recommandation of EXT is to set the LSC right in the middle and for Chris Porter this would be in the harsher and overdamped area of the compression.

When the compression valves of a shock are the probably weakest part, it's probably not worth the money. In my opinion the compression valves are one of the most important part of a shock.

I think a lot of riders (me including) are not able to feel what you mentioned above. They spend a lot of money because they think, they get one of the best shock on the market with a custom tune for their weight and bike. What they don't know is, after having a custom tuned shock they should still continue to work with an even better tuner to find the "right" custom tune for their riding style, bike and weight - an endless story which costs even more. Maybe for non-professional riders it would be the better solution to spend less money and just go away with a wide range shock like a Fox X2.

I think it's well worth the money my cornering skills improved a lot just by swapping X2 to Storia - especially on flat corners. That's probably the most "poppy" coil shock too, possibly better then TTX22. It takes some time to get it right but local EXT dealers do the job for free - i mean the custom tune is included in the price. X2 is nightmare to set up too having 6 factors when you include pressure + tokens, it took me ages to set X2 correctly - but you right it's more versatile. The downside you need to service it every 6 months if you want that smooth feel and probably 2 services will make up the price difference between Storia and X2. Its to mention X2 will always be more prone to change in performance because of temperature and altitude. I love Storia, it feels like proper racing shock - very fast wheel action and more predictible.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Bitte zwischen X2 (air) und DHX2 (coil) unterscheiden!
Und dann auch noch das Jahr beachten... die 2021er Dämpfer von Fox sind komplette Neukonstruktionen und lassen sich schlecht mit älteren DH/X2 vergleichen. Genauso wie coil gegen air...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Zurück
Oben Unten