Chris King Jahrgang?

MacB

Nichts ist ohne Grund!
Moin,

Meine Suche gibt nix her... Vermutlich falsch gefüttert, da ich meine schon mal was gelesen zu haben.

Wie war das noch mit Altersbestimmung bei King Steuersätzen? Biete ne Raute mit "A"

IMG_20200124_162838.jpg

Thx
Mac

Hilfreichster Beitrag geschrieben von Huelse

Hilfreich
Zum Beitrag springen →
Ist auch nur geraten

Look at the Bearing Cap.
See the little diamond scribed on the bearing cap? There should be a capital letter inside. When I called CK up for a NoThreadSet conversion for my mid-90's, unmarked silver GripNut, they asked me to reference this marking so they could send the correct part. I'm not sure which letter corresponds with which iteration of cup, though logic would dictate they would start with A (either on the original design or the first redesign) and then proceed from there.

If memory serves, CK cups were unmarked only until the late 90s, when you could get them marked or unmarked from distributors, then unmarked only in limited colors from distributors, then unmarked only as a special order from CK, and I think I heard recently that CK was abandoning the unmarked version altogether, much to the dismay of the modest and quality-obsessed.

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/vintage-chris-king-headset-how-old-361130.html

Hilfreichster Beitrag geschrieben von Huelse

Hilfreich
Zum Beitrag springen →
Im 94er Katalog gibts keine Logos, nur auf der obersten Mutter. Außerdem sind die Kings dort, breiter (nicht höher) als man sie sonst so kennt. Kann nur so wirken, ist aber so.

und im 95er Katalog steht dann unten auch schon "king sealed gripnut/2nut" (aber noch nicht chris king ...)

im 96er ist das auch noch so und ändert sich wie oben schon angedeutet tatsächlich erst 97

edit
hier gibts dann nochmals vom KING selbst umfangreiche Detail- Infos`

https://bmxsociety.com/topic/59146-chris-king-logo-discussion/
Here is a response from Chris :

Here's what I can offer as I remember it

Until approximately 1992, we had 5 models of headsets and were only marked with a stamped "King Sealed Bearing" on the threaded top nuts (no threadless versions):

1" Standard Stack (40mm stack height)
1" Short Stack (31mm stack height)
1" BMX (with the odd head tube size)
1-1/8" (used the 1-1/4" bearings)
1-1/4" (40mm stack)

During 1993 we began the NoThreadSet models after running an OEM order of 1" Aheadset style (wedge design) for Trek late in 1992 (I have a sample of this on my desk right now). The NoThreadset design eliminated the wedge as it was problematic with creaking and locking itself to the steering tube after some use. During this time all the existing 5 models above were fitted with the NoThreadset bearing cap and offered as threadless headsets. At that same time we started experimenting with Laser marking, jobbing it out to a vendor in Camerillo, CA. This would be the outline "KING" on the top cup only. As to 1-1/8' headsets, only the older bearing style (1-1/4" bearing) in the 1-1/8" NoThreadSet would have had this outline mark on the upper cup only, and lasted only about a year.

Somewhere between 1993 and 1994 we started to consolidate the headset designs to optimize bearing size so the two 1" headsets became the "New Stack" 1" (at around 32mm stack and used the short stack base plate). The 1-1/8" got it's own new bearing size as the market was rapidly shifting away from 1-1/4" headsets. The industry wanted to use this one size (1-1/8") for everything including road and BMX.

During this time we had acquired our own Laser and began the block filled "KING" mark on both upper and lower cups. Production during 1994 was probably all the newer consolidated bearing design headsets with block filled KING marks on both cups. We did however, offer unmarked cup versions on request and moved quite a few over the following 10 years. GripLock for the threaded versions were released at this time and both these and the traditional 2-nut units were laser marked on the top nuts instead of stamping.

Dating becomes more complicated as we offered "Conversion Kits" to convert threaded headsets to NoThreadSets. This would have covered old and new versions in all sizes (7 total versions). There were some early Aheadset (wedge) style threadless headsets that would have appeared in 1-1/8" old style (1-1/4" bearing) headsets but only for about a year (1993).

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Im 94er Katalog gibts keine Logos, nur auf der obersten Mutter. Außerdem sind die Kings dort, breiter (nicht höher) als man sie sonst so kennt. Kann nur so wirken, ist aber so.

Es gab eine Weile noch die sogenannte Short-Stack Bauform. Im Bild (alle 1") der zweite von rechts, bei 1 1/8" ist der größere Durchmesser und die flachere Bauform noch deutlicher.
chris king001.JPG

Und das hier hatte ich noch:
chris king headset chart_zpsflakobmm.jpg~original.jpg

Oldschool
(A) und (N) in den Rauten der nuts/conversionkit
Für shortstack vermutlich mit einem <E> in der unteren Nut

king_gripnut_hs_10.jpg
king_shortstk_lav.jpg

king sealed gripnut.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Nachtrag,
Midschool Conversionkit/Nuts for newer nologo middle sized cups sizes in A/A