What thread is this please ?

Hi, I bought a Tune 1 inch Titanium threaded steerer from Jenny Christian on ebay a few years ago. I assumed wrongly it has British 24 TPI threads but when I came to fit it, it doesn't fit British 24 TPI headsets. I have asked the seller a few times on Ebay and had no response, also he does not state what thread type it is in his listing !!! I have tried to re-thread it ( see at the top of the thread ) but Titanium is too had to recut 🤔

Has anybody got one like it and what thread does it use please ?

Thanks,

GB

Anhänge

• IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    65,6 KB · Aufrufe: 52
  • IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    227,5 KB · Aufrufe: 50
Excuse me,

but two pics are not enough information: what diameter has the threaded part and how many threads do you count in 10mm or 25,4mm length?

Regards Frank

Excuse me,

but two pics are not enough information: what diameter has the threaded part and how many threads do you count in 10mm or 25,4mm length?

Regards Frank
Thanks for your help 🙂 Its a 1inch diameter threaded Tune Ti steerer. There seems to be less threads per 1 inch than I was expecting. You can see from the top section that the 24 TPI Thread cutting tool I used tried to recut the threads to English 24 TPI threads does work now. However, the English thread Chris King and Campagnolo headsets did NOT fit this steerer before I used the cutting tool and wont fit this steerer section below where I have NOT rethreaded it ( labelled what thread is this in picture ? ) . I was wondering if Germany/Tune uses a different thread or is it French or Italian thread ?

I cant rethread it any lower ! but will but a different headset if I can find out which one to use. Hope this makes sense.

GB

Anhänge

• IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    247,9 KB · Aufrufe: 26
  • IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    254,9 KB · Aufrufe: 25
  • IMG_2625.jpeg
    IMG_2625.jpeg
    270 KB · Aufrufe: 29
  • IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    271,4 KB · Aufrufe: 21
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi,
I´m assuming it´s a 1" steerer? Anything other than 24tpi would indeed be weird, is there even another standard? I would guess that is a manufacturing defect.

You can also try to reach him over his website:
http://www.kon-q-renz.de/index.php/impressum
Thats what I thought and I have bought many fork steerers over the years. It could be a manufacturing defect 🤔. Its frustrating as Ebay user Jenny Christian does not answer his messages and I have asked TWICE recently !!! I will try his website. He should state it on his Ebay listing too so people dont make these expensive mistakes ! 🥴

Normally 1" forks have 24 TPI.
But I mean there was also a french thread standard with 25.4 TPI.

Always remember: if it is strange, it most likely comes from France 🤪
Everybody tries to avoid French threads ( no offence to any French people, I love France etc ) Italian will normally fit with some pressure as its so close but this thread is weird !! 🥺

I would recommend to stop cutting the titanium fork with a normal die.

Example of processing instructions for titanium, found here:
„External threads should be cut on the lathe, since dies can seize and thus lead to unclean threads.“

I would recommend to stop cutting the titanium fork with a normal die.

Example of processing instructions for titanium, found here:
„External threads should be cut on the lathe, since dies can seize and thus lead to unclean threads.“
I cant recut the threads further down anymore anyway. The section that has been recut at the top does fit an English 24 TPI headset lock ring. It looks bad but it does work 👍 However, I dont want to force the thread cutter all the way down. I just want to know what thread specification he has cut this steerer to on his lathe.

I have emailed him on his business contact details above and will update this thread later. Thanks for all the help from the wonderful retro community here 👏🏼🤗

GB

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Zurück
Oben Unten