White Industries Hubs History

Hi,
i'm looking for information to some old classic hubs of WI.
I own some nice retro-mtbs but can not find any definitive informations about whit industries items.
Where can i learn about timeline, specs an history of the mtb hubs that you built in die 90ies? I think i got some "tracker" hubs but i don't know for sure. What's the differene between "tracker" "phantom" and so on? It seems some of them has titan-axle and some uses steel right? There must be more than the Wundel-website no?

Thanks for any information!
Alex

Cool danke, werde es mal ausführlicher durchlesen, auf den ersten Blick fällt es schwer den Unterschied zu erkennen. Meine sind diese mit ShimanoFreilauf:
20171103_180108.jpg

20171103_174352.jpg

Aha... also verstehe och richtig das es die "Phantom" hubs eigentlich gar nicht gibt sondern nur die WI Ti und die WI Tracker jeweils als front und für hinten entweder für schraubkranz oder casette. Aber halt beides mit Ti Achse.
Den Unterschied erkennt man also nur am Achsdurchmesser und Gewicht.

Front WI
98gr Durchmesser ca. 12mm titan
153gr Durchmesser ca.17mm Tracker cro-moly

Rear WI
150gr für Schraubkasette, Durchmesser ca 15mm titan
266gr für Shimano Kassette, Durchmesser ca 12mm

Habe Antworten von White Industries erhalten...nicht ganz so einfach..
lest selbst was die freundliche Mitarbeiterin zu meinem LRS schrieb:

Zitate in umgekehrter Reihenfolge des Emailverlaufs:

The original axles for the Ti Cassette were 12mm and made of titanium. We changed to steel in about 1994.

There was another model hub called the AftTracker and that hub used only steel with a special sleeve for the needle bearings. The diameter of that axle was 17mm

It looks like (bezogen auf meine Fotos). the front hub is an original Ti front hub with titanium axle made in 1992. It is very similar in design to the T11 but does have the ti axle. The rear hub I can’t quite tell if it is the Ti Rear or the Aft Tracker. If there are needle bearings in the freehub body then it is the Aft Tracker and uses a 17mm steel axle. If it is the Ti Rear, then it would have the titanium axle. It may have the steel axle if it was modified after 1993/94 but looks like it was made in 1992.

Best

Lynette

was das offiziell reingehört kann ich leider nicht mehr sagen und auf den Seiten steht auch nichts Hilfreiches
IMG_20191212_152728.jpg

Gerade wurde das Thema Phantom Ti in einem Beitrag innerhalb der Facebook Gruppe "Vintage MTB Workshop" aufgegriffen.

Zitat:
"Does anyone remember why the White Industries Phantom Ti hubset was such a short-lived product, besides the fact that it came out at the end of the freewheel era?
The "Phantom" name was trademarked by Schwinn for their balloon tire cruiser bike so White Industries had to drop that part of the product name."

Demnach war mit der Phantom Ti nur das Schraubkranz-Modell + dazugehöriges VR-Nabe gemeint. Kurz darauf mussten die Naben umbenannt werden.

Zurück
Oben Unten