Hallo - Mountain biker with questions; moving from US to Stuttgart

I am moving to Stuttgart in the next couple months. I am an avid mountain biker and I have a few questions for you locals.

I am moving from the the US Rocky Mountain southwest and I am used to riding all kinds of trails from Sedona, AZ to Colorado.

Question 1
My bike hauler is a Toyota FJ Cruiser with a Thule T2 bike rack. I have an extension for 2 more bikes (total 4). Is this bike rack legal in DE, or do I need to purchase a new one?

DSCN0403.jpg

Cool, thank you.

It looks like I will need to mount my license plate to the rack perhaps?

My tail lights are not blocked when my bikes are loaded, so I think I am ok - unless lights on the rack are a legal requirement?

Yes.
In Deutschland müssen Kupplungsträger über eine Betriebserlaubnis verfügen und zusätzlich mit Rückleuchten ausgestattet sein. Die Fahrräder dürfen seitlich nicht mehr als 400 mm über die Leuchten hinausragen. Außerdem muss ein zusätzliches Kennzeichen am Träger angebracht werden, die amtlichen Plaketten jedoch müssen dort nicht aufgeklebt werden.
In Germany, coupling elements have a license and be equipped with taillights. The bicycles may extend laterally not more than 400 mm above the lights. Moreover, an additional mark on the carrier are attached, the official badge but there must not be glued.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrradträger

Ah - I guess I sell my bike rack and buy a new one once I arrive.
-------

Ah - ich denke, ich verkaufe meine Fahrradträger und ein neues kaufen, wenn ich ankomme.

Danke

Ah - I guess I sell my bike rack and buy a new one once I arrive.
-------
That ´ll be indeed the best solution, especially since you have to consider the shipping cost from Overseas to Germany. Tho´ that won´t be a prob if you are summond here by the Army, I assume.

Have a nice time here, and just leave a comment on arrival. You could join one of the mtb groups around here in Stuttgart. You´ll see, there are some real nice places around.

-------
That ´ll be indeed the best solution, especially since you have to consider the shipping cost from Overseas to Germany. Tho´ that won´t be a prob if you are summond here by the Army, I assume.

Have a nice time here, and just leave a comment on arrival. You could join one of the mtb groups around here in Stuttgart. You´ll see, there are some real nice places around.

I am not a military member, however my household relocation is being paid for.
----
Ich bin nicht eine militärische Mitglied, aber mein Haushalt Umzug wird bezahlt.

Ich würde gerne in Kontakt mit einem lokalen Mountainbike Gruppe zu erhalten und mehr über die Trails und Bier!

Good beer is more easily to find then trails, trust me. Just bump into the next grocery. There are dozen of brands to choose from. Stick to the local stuff and try to avoid the big brands. There is one easy rule: Check the best before end date. If it is many months ahead, it's a big brewery. They sterilize there beer. Local brands don't do it. So it is good for only 2-3 month. Local stuff mostly tastes better.

For trails check out Schwäbische Alb or Schönbuch or even Schwarzwald. And stick to the locals, they will show you around. The good stuff is not posted at the internet.

Question about window tinting:

My auto has a factory installed window tint (film) on the driver's & passenger's side windows. I live in Albuquerque (ever see the TV show, "Breaking Bad"?) and we have a lot of sun.

Will I have to have it removed before I can register my auto?

--------
Frage Scheibentönung:

Mein Auto hat eine werkseitig installierte Fenstertönung (Film) auf der Fahrer-und Beifahrerseite Fenster. Ich lebe in Albuquerque (je sehen die TV-Show, "Breaking Bad" ?) Und wir haben eine viel Sonne.

Muss ich sie entfernen, bevor ich mein Auto anmelden können?

1072-Augustiner-Hell-20x0,5l.jpg

Try to get one of those, you can never go wrong with Augustiner :daumen: No local brewery in Stuttgart, however. Still you should get that awesome stuff almost anywhere.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I see the confusion; that is only Notaknob's tap at his house... we are somewhat "beer snobs," and if a hyropack of Notaknob's home-brewed 'Rio En Medio Ale' (brewed with hand picked hops from along side Nota's favorite trail) doesn't quench your thirst, I'm not sure what will.

As for the cans of beer in the other photo - after riding up a mountain for 1000 meters & 3 hrs, any beer tastes delishious if it is wet and free!!

What beer do you like to carry with you on rides? I need some advice since I doubt I will have access to the New Mexico & Colorado beers I enjoy currently (mostly 7% abv up to 11% abv).

Edit- I see your recommendations now, danke! Are these lagers or pilsners?

I also enjoy some of the Belgain style beers we get in the US.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Zurück
Oben Unten