Flat flat Pedals. Nur 3,7mm dick.

Grinsekater

Nerd in disguise
Quelle: mtbr

Fotoquelle: mtbr-Galerie & www.littermag.com

BikeDoc schrieb:
At a mere 3.7 millimeters thin, the photo of FlyPaper Pedals has been the second most viewed photo from Interbike's Dirt Demolition Daze! Several people have posted questions and comments about them. I finally got a chance to post some additional info and answer a couple of the questions. If you are one of the thousands of people who were checking them out, now there's some info for you. If you haven't seen them tey, they are shown on the first page of photos from dirt demo and listed as "Flat, flat pedals"

Stay tuned, I'll be posting more info, as time allows.

Prototyp
MG_3196.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bikedoc schrieb:
Thinnest AND stickiest! As Kanga mentioned below, FlyPaper Pedals grip better than any platform pedals he's ever tried. Grips better = STICKIEST!!!

This was the main point of developing FlyPaper Pedals. I used to ride the original Atomlabs Aircorp, myself. At 19 millimeters thick they were a vast improvement over the 26 millimeter thick redline pedals I had previosly ridden.

Try this experiment: Take an extra pair of platform pedals and a couple of zip ties. Zip tie both of the spare pedals to ONE of the pedals on your bike, one on top, the other on the bottom. Now, with your new "triple thick pedal", try riding your bike around the parking lot, but be CAREFUL! Notice how easily the pedal wants to roll under your foot, especially if you try to start pushing forward early in the pedal stroke. Now try standing up on your new triple thick. (REALLY CAREFUL HERE!!!) Next, go find yourself a hill to climb. Try it seated and then standing.

I actuall have done all of these experiments, (at the suggestion of someone from Atomlabs) which was what 8 or 10 years ago convinced me to try the Atomlab Aircorp. By placing your foot closer to the axis of the pedal's rotation, you reduce the leverage that would otherwise allow your foot to roll the pedal. This thinness IS WHAT MAKES THE PEDAL STICKIER AND MORE STABLE!!! (Which is precisely why downhillers and freeeriders will want these pedals.)

The stability of FlyPaper Pedals allows you to start pedaling harder, earlier in the pedal stroke without having your foot slip or roll off the front of the pedal, and continue pedaling harder farther across the bottom of the pedal stroke without having your foot slip or roll off the back of the pedal. Longer pedal stroke = more power = improved sprinting = faster downhill runs!

Also, by having a longer power stroke, your power becomes smoother and less "spikey", reducing the chance of overpowering and spinning the rear wheel in low traction conditions.

Second benefit: Lower rider platform!

Reducing the pedal to 3.7 millimeters thick versus 24mm to 25mm for most platform pedals (27mm or more for some) means that the rider is standing more than 10 millimeters lower. This lowers the rider's center of gravity by 10mm. This also allows a 10mm lower saddle position and 10mm lower handlebars. Since the rider is the heaviest part of the bike, this seemingly small drop in position is HUGE in performance benefits. First, the bike corners better, with more stability. Second, you can now descend steeper roll-ins to squarer hits at the bottom befrtoe you go over the handlebars. Third, you can now climb steeper hills before the bike tries to wheelie over backwards.

Another benefit: More ground clearance!

That same 10 millimeters taken off the other side of the pedal allows you to pedal through chunkier rock gardens without hitting your pedals. Pedaling where others are coasting = faster downhill runs!

But perhaps you ride in Smoothville and there ain't no rock gardens or maybe your frame was designed with all the ground clearance that you would ever want or need... THEN RE-DESIGN YOUR FRAME!!! Now, with flypaper pedals, you can LOWER your bottom bracket by 10 millimeters and now the rider wil be 20millimeters lower than on your old set-up. Your frame size is from the bottom bracket to the seat clamp, so lowering the bottom bracket 10 mm means that you also lower your seat tube and the rear end of your top tube a corresponding 10mm! The center of your top tube is now 5mm lower, a significant benefit for anyone with a crotch, but especially for the vertically challenged! Your saddle and handlebars are now 20 millimeters lower than before! Any downhillers interested yet?

What's that, you say... you ride clipped in and just wouldn't be interested in a platform pedal, no matter how good. Guess what I'm working on now??? That's right, a clippity-do pedal that is based on the same bearing / spindle concept. Once again, without the spindle in the way, the pedal will be much thinner. I have some other tricks up my sleeve that will make them easier to clip into than any existing pedal, but I can't say too much about them until I get those patents filed. Speaking of patents, I've already filed for two of them for FlyPaper Pedals, and the clip-ins will qualify for at least two more. The road version should qualify fo one more beyond that. I've also got A headset design that will drop about 100 grams off of a headset (even though some headsets weigh less than 100 grams already!) and several other projects in the works, including wheels and three different real transmission designs, because I've never met a defailleur I didn't HATE!!!

Gotta run for now... time to make the milling machine spit out more chips...

Dean

Schön sind sie noch nicht wirklich... aber das mit dem "Pedalrollen" kommt mir bekannt vor und war Grund für mich möglichst flache Pedale zu suchen. Die anderen Punkte sind auch nicht von der Hand zu weisen.
Mal sehen wie sich das entwickelt. Wann es die Teile zu kaufen gibt und ob man dafür einen Bausparvertrag kündigen muss um sie sich leisten zu können ;).

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Weitere Infos...

Bikedoc schrieb:
The pins go all the way through the pedal body. I'm currently experimenting with different pin lengths. I have 12 millimeter pins on the left pedal, which means that they stick out abot 4 millimeters on either side; and 10 millimeter pins on the right pedal, which give a 3 millimeter pin height on either side. I thinh that on both pedals that I actually have too many pins, and that even at 200 lbs, my shoe is sitting too much on top of the pins, kind of like the "bed od nails" trick. One of these days soon, I'm going to get my ice pick and clean out the sandstone that is impacted into the allen head sockets on these and remove a few pins from each pedal. I'm pretty sure that doing so will make the bottom of my shoe sink down around the remaining pins a bit farther and make these puppies even grippier than they already are!

Bikedoc schrieb:
I think it's a hoax building a platform pedal with a concave foot bed at first seems like a good idea. I seems as if the surface being cupped would hold your foot in place better than being flat. BUT since the goal of this project was to reduce pedal roll while pushing and pulling across the top and bottom of the pedal stroke, and since thicker pedals have been proven to have more pedal roll, I opted to not cup the foot bed. I believe that the most critical part of the pedal, when it comes to thickness, is the edge. Think about this: as a pedal starts to roll under your foot, once it rotates just a couple of degrees, the only part still in contact with the bottom of your shoe is the edge. The rest of the roll is entirely dependant on the leverage that comes from the thickness at the remaining point of contact. I think that ideally, a convex or slightly football shaped front to back profile would actually reduce roll. However FlyPaper pedals are already so thin, (3.7 millimeters) that I don't think there is room to thin out the front and back edges without compromising strenght and durability. And besides, they just don't need it...they're already the grippiest, most stable platform pedals on the planet. And as I mentioned in another post a few minutes ago, I think that they will be even grippier after I remove a few pins. Furthermore, IF I AM WRONG about the concave/convex thing, and a convex shape is actually better, rather than Adding a bunch of extra weight by making the front and rear edges thicker, all that you would really have to do to get an overall convex profile, is to replace the front and rear pins with longer ones than used in the middle. (Currently I am running 12 millimeter pins on one pedal for 4 millimeters of pin extension on each side of the pedal body, and 10 millimeter pins on the other for 3 millimeters of pin extension on each side of that pedal body. Since both sides fell equally grippy, I think that I may have too many pins and that reducing the number of pins might actually make a great thing even better!)

Die Diskussion in dem Amiforum stammt von Oktober letzten Jahres stimmt. Aber vielleicht gibts ja bald was neues? Vielleicht weiß hier noch jemand etwas? Und es ist bald Eurobike ;). Serienstart?

Sieht sehr vielversprechend aus, denke das wird der neue Hype, wie WideBars etc...

Der nutzen liegt ja eindeutig auf der Hand, lediglich die Lagerung muss noch beweisen was sie kann.

Ich denke das Lager dürfte konstruktionsbedingt recht starken Kräften uasgesetzt sein, da eine grosse Hebelkraft auf ihm lastet.

Egal wie gut die funzen, wieviel gewicht man sparen kann etc. Mit der Optik kommen mir die Dinger nicht ans bike.
Hoffe man kann das Lager irgendwie schöner integrieren.

die vorteile von den dingern sind ja offensichtlich, aber wie siehts aus mit der technischen umsetzung? die lager sitzen sehr nah an der kurbel (fliegende lagerung), dass bedeutet, dass die lager ein hohes drehmoment aufnehmen müssen und dabei sehr steif sein. die hersteller haben schon mit der lagerung herkömlicher pedale probleme (so viele defekte wie es erfahrungsgemäß gibt), bin mal gespannt, ob das so funktioniert.

Man kann ja auch ein normales Pedal exzentrisch aufhängen, das hat den gleichen Effekt, das gibt zumindest nen besseren Q-faktor. Der Idealzustand wäre ja, wenn die (gedachte)Pedalachse durch den Fußballen läuft.
Inzwischen gibt es so ein Klickpedal für Rennradfahrer.
Nachteil beim Plattformpedal, es kann nur einseitig benutzt werden, dafür ist vielleicht die Lagerproblematik bzw. die Plattformstabilität besser in den Griff zu bekommen. Wenn man das Lager statt im Pedal in die Kurbel integriert, die Kurbel breiter macht kann man das Lager größer dimensionieren und die Stabilität steigt.

wenn die dinger funktionieren und halten, weiss ich schon was unbedingt ans bike muss.
bei meinen grossen latschern is dieses "pedalrollen" scho oft vorgekommen und es nervt einfach wenn ma sich auch noch auf die pedale konzentriern muss

Quelle: mtbr

Fotoquelle: mtbr-Galerie & www.littermag.com

Prototyp
MG_3196.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Schön sind sie noch nicht wirklich... aber das mit dem "Pedalrollen" kommt mir bekannt vor und war Grund für mich möglichst flache Pedale zu suchen. Die anderen Punkte sind auch nicht von der Hand zu weisen.
Mal sehen wie sich das entwickelt. Wann es die Teile zu kaufen gibt und ob man dafür einen Bausparvertrag kündigen muss um sie sich leisten zu können ;).

kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass man auf diesen "blechen" besser stehen soll als auf anderen. was machst Du wenn dein schuh voller matsch ist ?
die lager werden auch keine saison durchhalten !

viel spass mit dem müll :rolleyes::wut::spinner:

was kommt als nächstes ? lochblechsattel, vollgummireifen .... ?!

da investier ich doch lieber in mein bausparvertrag :daumen:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hast recht...

5.10`s auch viel zu klobig und hässlich, brauch keiner.
Wide Bars der letzte Scheiss, sieht auch kacke aus.

Tretlager sollten wieder 400mm hoch sein und ne Monster vorne dran.
3.0 Gazzas da braucht man doch keine Innovationen.

kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass man auf diesen "blechen" besser stehen soll als auf anderen. was machst Du wenn dein schuh voller matsch ist ?
die lager werden auch keine saison durchhalten !

viel spass mit dem müll :rolleyes::wut::spinner:

was kommt als nächstes ? lochblechsattel, vollgummireifen .... ?!

da investier ich doch lieber in mein bausparvertrag :daumen:

Hast du die Texte oder den Thread in dem Amiforum gelesen?

Über die Erscheinung sollte man noch hinwegsehen. Als damals die ersten "spyshots" vom Specialized Demo im Netz herumgeisterten war es noch ein wilder Aluklumpen. Nun sabbern die Leute um die wette ;).

Auf mtbr im forum gibt es leider nichts Neues.

Es bleibt also abzuwarten ob die Pedale je über den aktuellen Status des Prototypen herauskommen und wie sie letztendlich in der Serienvariante aussehen werden. :)

Edit:
Allein schon wenn man etwas Farbe hinzugibt (insbesondere weiss :D) würden sich sicher schon mit dieser Form einige Abnehmer finden ;).

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
abgesehen von der Farbe was ja technisch nicht so entscheidend ist, gibt es schon neuigkeiten ob die auch wirklich halten und vielleicht einmal produziert werden?

Nochmal zur Lagerung, ich sehe da keine großen Probleme.

Die herkömmlichen Pedale haben ein Haltbarkeitsproblem weil sie winzige Lager verwenden müssen, sprich bei einem Pedal mit einer Dicke von 25mm kommt man auf ein Lager mit Außen max 22mm Durchmesser da muss dann noch ne Achse Durch und und und ... Kann mei INA grad net finden sonst könnte ichs mal nachschlagen.

Er löst das ja anders, wie man bei Innenlagern ja auch drauf gekommen ist, Weg von den kleinen internen Speziallagern hin zu großen externen Standardlagern, mit weit höheren Tragzahlen, das auftretende Biegemoment einzufangen ist bei ralativ freier Lagerwahl kein Problem.

(vorrausgesetzt ich sehe das richtig: Er verwendet links und rechts des Standardpedalgewindes ein von außen geklemmtes Lager eben wie bei Exolagern von Kurbeln)

Zurück
Oben Unten