Record oder Chorus...

I am in the middle of building a new cyclocross bike. So far: Kinesis extralight frame, Carbonfire fork, Chris King ahead, Thomson X2 stem and Thomson Elite post, etc.

But for my choice of main components I had Campagnolo Record in mind untill somebody said that Chorus would be better for off-road work. Especially the carbon front- and rear derailleurs are said to be to likely to get easily damaged from cyclocross.

Is this correct? Any comments? I need advise!

mfg,
Timo

p.s.: replies in German are no problem!

It actually does not make a big difference, except of the price. The record is much more expensive than the chorus, but the chorus works just as fine.

How much do you want to spend?

I would rather take the centaur. it is much cheaper and works very well. and I guess, that the alu-ergos least a bit longer than the carbon ones.

müsing schrieb:
It actually does not make a big difference, except of the price. The record is much more expensive than the chorus, but the chorus works just as fine.
You mean the carbon fibre lower arm of the rear derailleur and the carbon fibre front plate of the front derailleur are not more vunerable than Chorus alu when it hits something on the fly or during a crash?
dubbel schrieb:
or get some 8 speed Dura Ace:
cheap, reliable, great performance.
:confused: The question was: Record or Chorus.

Yes. I already have a cyclocross bike with a mix of Dura-ace, Ultegra and XTR (see photos in my profile). The new bike will be the "full package" no matter what it costs. But if reliability is an issue I will swap some Record parts for Chorus...

Frame: Kinesis Extralight Cyclocross (58 cm; gloss black)
Fork: Advanced Cyclocross full carbon
Headset: Chris King Classic ahead (1 1/8”)
Stem: Thomson Elite X2 (1 1/8”; -10°; 120 cm)
Handlebar:
Shifters: Campagnolo Record Ergopower
Cables: Campagnolo Black
Bike ribbon:
Brakes: Spooky carbon cantilevers
Cranks: Campagnolo Record (aluminium; 172.5 cm)
Bottom bracket: Campagnolo Chorus (102 mm)
Pedals: Time ATAC XS Carbon
Chain: Campagnolo C10
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record (short cage)
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus (Ø 31.8 mm)
Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus (13-26t)
Hubs: Campagnolo Record (28 h.)
Spokes: Sapim Race (zilver)
Rims: Corima Aero carbon (28 h.)
Inner tubes:
Tires:
Seat post: Thomson Elite (330 mm; Ø 27.2 mm)
Seat post clamp:
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (black)

TimoWr schrieb:
You mean the carbon fibre lower arm of the rear derailleur and the carbon fibre front plate of the front derailleur are not more vunerable than Chorus alu when it hits something on the fly or during a crash?

I do not know about that, but I guess that they can't be too bad for the use on a Cyclocross-Bike. Look at occp's and the pro's bikes, they all ride the record stuff.

But I think that it is not necessary to use the record on a cx-bike. Too much money if you crash the bike or parts of it. I am going to get a new bike as well. It will be equipped with centaur parts. Affordable, strong and campy :love:

TimoWr schrieb:
Point is that I've allways wanted a Record equipped CC bike :D

But seriously: Do you want a bike that rides well and survives a couple of races even under harsh conditions without serious hassle – or do you simply want to make your riding buddies green with envy when they see it hanging on your living room wall?

Not knowing what kind of rider you are, I would nevertheless suggest Chorus because (from an engineer's point of view) there's too much carbon in the Record drivetrain to let it withstand mud and grime over a longer period of time. And, for example, trashing the rear derailleur is nothing uncommon when a cyclocross bike is used for what it's made for, so decide for yourself if you want to spend 200 € every time this happens.

By the way: If you really want to ride this bike, say goodbye to those crappy Spooky Carbon brakes and look for something that really makes your bike stop (especially if you want to stay with the carbon rims, which I think is not a good idea). I've ridden Spookys for a couple of weeks but recently swapped them for a set of Shimano cross cantilever brakes after crashing hard in a race due to brake failure. Though not as aesthetically pleasing as the Spookys, the Shimano's at least do what they are supposed to do. If you want to avoid using any Shimano parts, go for a set of Avid brakes – nearly anything is better than those Mafac copies made by Spooky, Empella etc.

Just my 2 cents
Snapcase

Snapcase schrieb:
But seriously: Do you want a bike that rides well and survives a couple of races even under harsh conditions without serious hassle – or do you simply want to make your riding buddies green with envy when they see it hanging on your living room wall?
I want to ride it, hence my original question: Chorus or Record, based on doubts about the reliability of the carbon fibre parts under harsh conditions.
Snapcase schrieb:
Not knowing what kind of rider you are, I would nevertheless suggest Chorus because (from an engineer's point of view) there's too much carbon in the Record drivetrain to let it withstand mud and grime over a longer period of time. And, for example, trashing the rear derailleur is nothing uncommon when a cyclocross bike is used for what it's made for, so decide for yourself if you want to spend 200 € every time this happens.
HALLO!!! Did you even read the question that started this thread? If you did you would know that you're information is exactly what I want to know but you would also have no reason to be so unfriendly about my plans. If I wanted to hang it on the wall I would go for Record and would not have asked this question at all :rolleyes:
Snapcase schrieb:
By the way: If you really want to ride this bike, say goodbye to those crappy Spooky Carbon brakes and look for something that really makes your bike stop (especially if you want to stay with the carbon rims, which I think is not a good idea). I've ridden Spookys for a couple of weeks but recently swapped them for a set of Shimano cross cantilever brakes after crashing hard in a race due to brake failure. Though not as aesthetically pleasing as the Spookys, the Shimano's at least do what they are supposed to do. If you want to avoid using any Shimano parts, go for a set of Avid brakes – nearly anything is better than those Mafac copies made by Spooky, Empella etc.
I have used Shimano cantilevers in the past (old XT breaks) but switched to Spooky's (first the alu version, then carbon two years ago) and I have no problems with them during cyclocross and road rides. They do make my bike stop. It all depends on the rubber you use.
And yes, I stick to those rims too. I already own a set with the same rims for my other cross bike (with DT hubs and 32 spokes per wheel) and they are strong and reliable. Did you ever use such wheels?

TimoWr schrieb:
I want to ride it, hence my original question: Chorus or Record, based on doubts about the reliability of the carbon fibre parts under harsh conditions.

You wanted an advice, you got an advice: Go for Chorus if you want to ride, use Record for pimping.

TimoWr schrieb:
HALLO!!! Did you even read the question that started this thread? If you did you would know that you're information is exactly what I want to know but you would also have no reason to be so unfriendly about my plans. If I wanted to hang it on the wall I would go for Record and would not have asked this question at all :rolleyes:

See above to answer that question yourself. Seems like you missed the irony in my words. Sorry for that, but the parts list you posted looked more like an excerpt from "Pimp my Fahrrad" than anything else. Buy whatever you want but be aware that the lighter and more expensive parts you are planning to use are not neccessarily more reliable over the long term than cheaper ones.

TimoWr schrieb:
I have used Shimano cantilevers in the past (old XT breaks) but switched to Spooky's (first the alu version, then carbon two years ago) and I have no problems with them during cyclocross and road rides. They do make my bike stop. It all depends on the rubber you use.

No, in most cases it depends on whether the cantilever bosses are mounted in the correct place to deliver acceptable performance for a given combination of brakes, rims and frame or not. This is because adjustability with Spookys brakes (be it aluminum or carbon) is even worse than with those Mafacs I used in the early 80's (you could twist and bend those to make them fit). Maybe you're lucky and found a combination working well. A proper combination of brake rubber and rim surface is important as well, of course, but (as you probably know) you need to use special brake shoes for carbon rims anyway.

TimoWr schrieb:
And yes, I stick to those rims too. I already own a set with the same rims for my other cross bike (with DT hubs and 32 spokes per wheel) and they are strong and reliable. Did you ever use such wheels?

Yes, on a bike I borrowed as a replacement bike for some races. I remember being rather uncomfortable with them due to poor brake performance (Spooky Carbon brakes with Corima-specific brake shoes and rims) and an overly stiff feel on rough ground. But hey, use them if they work well for your type of riding.

Snapcase

Snapcase schrieb:
...Now I do my winter training (and some occasional racing) on a Stevens Cyclocross Prestige with Ultegra 9-speed stuff on it, and that's a pretty hassle-free rig. A friend of mine who owns a sub 8 kilo Ridley with an all-Record drivetrain and stuff similar to what you want to use permanently complains about poor shifting in the muddy part of the ride, bad brake performance on wet downhills and things like these.
has someone mentioned Dura Ace 8 speed yet?

Pimp your bike? Sorry, but if I wanted to pimp my bike I would do a lot more than this. For example I use...

Frame: Kinesis Extralight Cyclocross
Cranks: Campagnolo Record (aluminium; 172.5 cm)
Bottom bracket: Campagnolo Chorus (102 mm)
Pedals: Time ATAC XS Carbon
Hubs: Campagnolo Record (28 h.)
Seat post: Thomson Elite (330 mm; Ø 27.2 mm)
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (black)

...these are all parts chosen for reliability and durability. No funky hubs, carbon cranks or realy lightweight stuff. Instead I use a normal frame, normal alu cranks, standard hubs, a very normal saddle and seatpost and stem are also not the lightest parts available. But perhaps your definition of pimping a bike is different from mine.

Corima makes brake pads for cantilevers?????????????????????????

I guess we better quit argueing. Build your bike up the way you like and apart from that shut up and ride.

TimoWr schrieb:
Corima makes brake pads for cantilevers?????????????????????????

The label said "Corima by KoolStop" (if I remember correctly), so I guess they were suited if not made especially for Corima rims.

Snapcase

Did I miss something? I simply asked the Record or Chorus question. I appreciate your answer about that choice but why do I get all the comments on brakes, rims, pimp my bike, 8-speed Shimano, etc.? Then when I don't like the comments about pimping my bike I am asked to shut up and ride :rolleyes:

TimoWr schrieb:
Did I miss something?

Yes, in fact, you seem to have missed something – a lesson on how to behave in public.

Be true, you didn't really want an advice – you had already made your choice before and just wanted all of us to know that you've got money to burn or something. Just to give you a hint where the "Pimp my bike" idea originated, here's a quotation from your posting:

TimoWr schrieb:
The new bike will be the "full package" no matter what it costs.

And if you can't stand comments on a list of parts you want to use, simply don't post it here.

Over and out
Snapcase

Snapcase schrieb:
Yes, in fact, you seem to have missed something – a lesson on how to behave in public.
Exactly where did I "misbehave"? :confused:
Snapcase schrieb:
Be true, you didn't really want an advice – you had already made your choice before and just wanted all of us to know that you've got money to burn or something.
That is complete and utter nonsense: I allways wanted a bike with Record but I heard some negative comments about the carbon parts when used off-road, then you confirmed what I heard so I decided to change the front- and rearderailleurs to Chorus together with the BB. So what's all that crap about "already made your choice" and "just wanting all of us to know"? That's why I wrote: "no matter what it costs. But if reliability is an issue I will swap some Record parts for Chorus" In Dutch there's a saying: zoals de waard is vertrouwd hij zijn gasten" :rolleyes:
Snapcase schrieb:
Just to give you a hint where the "Pimp my bike" idea originated, here's a quotation from your posting:
Where is the quote????
Snapcase schrieb:
And if you can't stand comments on a list of parts you want to use, simply don't post it here.
I have no problem with comments but I think it is my right to disagree with you. You say the list proves that I "pimp my bike", I say that is no true because I would have more exclusive, more expensive parts if I DID want to pimp it. Yet because I disagree with you, you tell me to shut up. Now, who needs a lesson about how to behave in public :(

Snapcase schrieb:
Over and out
Snapcase
Sure. That's the easy way out after insulting me.

Zurück
Oben Unten