Bearing press for Liteville 301

Hi all,
Excuse me it's in English - Ich habe Deutsch seit 2003 nicht gesprochen und habe alles vergessen.
I just saw there is a lot of 301 lovers in Germany so I wanted to share my project with those who are interested.
I had to perform my first bearing change on the MK11. I didn't want to leave it with the workshop because they use a universal bearing press and was affraid they could damage the frame.

I decided to design one dedicated for the 301. Took me a day and 50e worth of experiments but it works.
I pressed in all 8 bearings in about 8minutes. All bearings went in perfectly straight. Could be faster than 8 mins but it was the first time I was using it.

I have a local guy who works with metal and he got them machined for me from steel.
The idea is to use the back wall of the socket and its opening to create a path for the bearing to slide on perfectly aligned.

Here it how it works.
There is an opening on the back of the socket. My press goes into that opening and clicks in ( see the small step?). Thanks to this the rod is perfectly centered and also perpendicular so bearing has nearly zero chance to go in crooked. Then you slide the other part of the press and screw them together.
Very easy.
Total cost to make should be apporx 25e ( I had to do it twice because I got the tollerances wrong first time ).
lv_bearing_press.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi Luca, do you think your friend could make a second set of tools?
I (and probably a few other guys here in the forum) would love to own those tools :)

Hi . Sorry I only now visited the thread and saw the replies.
I had cad drawings but had a disc crash on my laptop and lost them along with my work. I can probably measure from the tools themselves and redraw them in the next week or so.
I can post the drawings here then but would not be able to get more sets done and shipped to you guys - to little time on my hands these days :(
Anyway the entire set is a bit heavy and I think getting it machined locally would be a better option. Cannot promise when but I'll post them up when I find some time to redraw the drawings.

Okay here are the drawings in PDF. There is NO SCALE to them just use the dimensions
As you can see I have used some washers and bolts additionally with the threaded elements.

washers and bolts.JPG

Elements 7 goes onto element 6 to make unit - just it was easier for the guy to make them as two units. Here they are on the photo below:

elements 6 and 7.JPG

This unit has a sunken space in it because the big bearings are not usual 6902 but 6902-E where the inner bearing race is wider! Remember this when ordering them!!

I had to file down some of the units used to press in the chainstay bearing because I couldn't get them flat on the surface of the link - when you get onto it you will probably see it.

KILL ME but I did not take photos when pressing the bearings in and I cannot remmeber how I did it - which units used how haha sooooryy. But I'm sure you will figure it out.
The idea is the small steps go into the back of the plate that stops the bearing and they set the rod perpendicularly to lead in the new bearing.

I am sure I used them all and I used them with addition of bolts and nuts. In the rear triangle where you have double bearings I used a long threaded bolt and a nut that I stuck through the units and then washers of course too so you can screw them together and lead the new bearing in.

This is all I can do - next time - NEXT YEAR - when I get to change the bearings again - I'll get some photos from the process but I'm sure you will figure it out.

I do not take any responsibility for any frame damage or health or deaths casued by using this tool set - this is only an example of what I have used. I used id with a 301 MK11 frame.

Some of the units were used to remove bearings too ( also using washers, bolts, nuts to press the bearings out ) but you will need something like a "cup" the bearing will fall into when pressed out - I used an old piece of a 1 1/8" steerer I had after shortening a new set of forks.

Good luck
L

Anhänge

• LV-301-no-scale.pdf
    128,3 KB · Aufrufe: 361
  • elements 6 and 7.JPG
    elements 6 and 7.JPG
    12 KB · Aufrufe: 778
  • washers and bolts.JPG
    washers and bolts.JPG
    27,7 KB · Aufrufe: 817
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Yeah man sorry about the delay - I left the thread and didn't see the replies...
Remember about these funny E beraings where one race is wider - I got them from enduro bearings.
ebearing.JPG

Anhänge

• ebearing.JPG
    ebearing.JPG
    46,3 KB · Aufrufe: 742
Sollte jemand mehr als ein Einpresswerkzeug machen können/wollen/..., dann wäre ich ein dankbarer Abnehmer. Selbstverständlich gegen Entgelt ;)

This is something like what I used to remove and install the double chainstay bearings. You all know this don't you. Just put the units onto it + the bearing and screw together to press in. ( note: you need a cup for the bearing to fall into on the other side - I used and old piece of a steerer tube but you can use a socket from a ratchet wrench - anything with diameter slightly greater than the bearing but small enough to rest against the linkage plate - the piece of a steerer tube was good ).

It was also used to remove linkage plate bearings. And one of the big 6902E bearings. The other big bearing is hard to press out like this because the shape of the chainstay doesn't allow for the socket to rest flat against its surface.

bpress.JPG

Anhänge

• bpress.JPG
    bpress.JPG
    36,8 KB · Aufrufe: 735
Great stuff. Just stumbled across this when looking for 301 and 601 bearings.
Going to get my turner at work to make me a set of the ones in the drawings, thanks Luka :)

Does anyone know the codes for the 601 mk2 bearings?

Hi lukaDH,

your bearing tools look great! Ist there any chance that I can buy a set of tools?

Hi all,
Excuse me it's in English - Ich habe Deutsch seit 2003 nicht gesprochen und habe alles vergessen.
I just saw there is a lot of 301 lovers in Germany so I wanted to share my project with those who are interested.
I had to perform my first bearing change on the MK11. I didn't want to leave it with the workshop because they use a universal bearing press and was affraid they could damage the frame.

I decided to design one dedicated for the 301. Took me a day and 50e worth of experiments but it works.
I pressed in all 8 bearings in about 8minutes. All bearings went in perfectly straight. Could be faster than 8 mins but it was the first time I was using it.

I have a local guy who works with metal and he got them machined for me from steel.
The idea is to use the back wall of the socket and its opening to create a path for the bearing to slide on perfectly aligned.

Here it how it works.
There is an opening on the back of the socket. My press goes into that opening and clicks in ( see the small step?). Thanks to this the rod is perfectly centered and also perpendicular so bearing has nearly zero chance to go in crooked. Then you slide the other part of the press and screw them together.
Very easy.
Total cost to make should be apporx 25e ( I had to do it twice because I got the tollerances wrong first time ).
lv_bearing_press.jpg

Hello All!

Greetings from Big Bear Lake, California!

I'd like to contribute towards the mystery of replacing Liteville bearings by providing their PDF file with instructions

Please see ATTACHED PDF file with Instructions!

here is the list with all manuals for the frames: https://www.liteville.com/de/77/support/bedienungsanleitungen/
Please look at the MK13 manual on page 20. There you can find all bearings with article numbers and you can order the parts directly from the Syntace online shop. (MK11-MK13 bearings were the same)

Here is a pdf to download where you can see how to press the bearings in and out. https://we.tl/t-omqQH18xw1
For the dealers we offer tools for the bearings but for one time you can also use
You dont need a blind bearing puller.

This is the original drawing, I remember I saved it back then

Anhänge

• Liteville-Bearing-press.jpg
    Liteville-Bearing-press.jpg
    139,5 KB · Aufrufe: 68
Zurück
Oben Unten