Geometron. Diskussions und Bilder Thread.

Hi,

I'm asking this here, maybe someone has answers, since Nicolai seems slow to answer such questions on email.

I'm thinking of getting a small G1 frame, and going with the 15mm seatstay mutator, which would raise the BB and steepen the HA quite a bit.

The thing is, in their docs, this frame/mutator (the 15mm one, mutator ID 106, link here) combination is "not recommended". My question is why?

What is the reason for not being recommended? Is it a structural issue e.g. chainstay hitting the seatstay, not being able to achieve full travel or just because of the specification difference from the advertised values e.g. head angle being so different?

Second question is, when ordering the frame, can I choose the mutator(s) I want and have it mounted from the factory? If not, any idea which are the factory/stock mutators for a small frame?

Finally, what has been your experience when communicating with Nicolai?

I know they're a small company, should I expect it to be slow? Some other brands have been much faster to respond, not sure what to make of it and am wondering if the process of ordering/support would be the same.

I had actually created a new thread for these questions, but it looks like this thread is the place to ask.

Thanks!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
What is the reason for not being recommended? Is it a structural issue e.g. chainstay hitting the seatstay, not being able to achieve full travel or just because of the specification difference from the advertised values e.g. head angle being so different?

I can only assume what is the reason for. The answer to this question should be given by Nicolai himself.

IMHO, I cannot imagine that a structural problem will be the reason.

The geometry will be not fit completely to the suggestions of Nicolai how to setup a race bike.

In any case, you need to check the distance between the frame and the tire. That is a standard procedure when you change the mutators recommended or not!

Second question is, when ordering the frame, can I choose the mutator(s) I want and have it mounted from the factory? If not, any idea which are the factory/stock mutators for a small frame?

The time I had bought my frame G1 (March 21), the mutators cannot be changed. The frame comes with the standard inserts. But if you buy the mutators together with the bike/frame, they should be cheaper.

I know they're a small company, should I expect it to be slow? Some other brands have been much faster to respond, not sure what to make of it and am wondering if the process of ordering/support would be the same.

Communication with Nicolai is usually very quick. The quickest way is to pick up the phone and call.
Nicolai is very helpful, not only when selling their goods. The after-sales support is also excellent.
If I had any doubts whatsoever, I got a reliable answer immediately.
OK, I didn't call three times a week.

I had actually created a new thread for these questions, but it looks like this thread is the place to ask.

It should be the right place to ask such questions.

Regards Stefan

Hi,

I'm asking this here, maybe someone has answers, since Nicolai seems slow to answer such questions on email.

I'm thinking of getting a small G1 frame, and going with the 15mm seatstay mutator, which would raise the BB and steepen the HA quite a bit.

The thing is, in their docs, this frame/mutator (the 15mm one, mutator ID 106, link here) combination is "not recommended". My question is why?

Thanks!
I always got detailed answers within a couple of hours regarding request per email. Best service so far. I also contacted them by phone.

I always got detailed answers within a couple of hours regarding request per email. Best service so far. I also contacted them by phone.

I did get an email a few hours ago, and as B1H4 mentioned, they suggest mounting the mutator and doing a collision check, which isn't ideal, since if it wouldn't work, I'd have to return it :)

Can anyone please measure the clearance between the seatstay & seat tube?

20220222_173854_.jpg

With a longer seatstay mutator, I'd be pushing the seatstay back and if there is reasonable clearance for the end with the welds, it's probabily going to be ok.

geometry-changing-3.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Hello, please excuse the dark pictures. You should see the clearance between the seat tube and the seat stay.
Sorry for the dirty bike, but it is in use, especially in these weather conditions.
The measurement was made statically. Under lateral load, you can expect some deflection of the seat stay, which can lead to contact with the seat tube.
For example: If you hit the ground up after a jump with the rear wheel at an angle.

2022.02.22_Seat-Stay_G1_11(1).jpeg
2022.02.22_Seat-Stay_G1_10.jpeg
2022.02.22_Seat-Stay_G1_09.jpeg
2022.02.22_Seat-Stay_G1_06.jpeg

I did get an email a few hours ago, and as B1H4 mentioned, they suggest mounting the mutator and doing a collision check, which isn't ideal, since if it wouldn't work, I'd have to return it :)

Can anyone please measure the clearance between the seatstay & seat tube?

TNC ist schon mal vorbildlich.
Nach genau 15 Minuten eine persönliche Antwort mit Hinweis der Weiterleitung zu Sram.

Ich hoffe, ich langweile Euch nicht mit nicht Nicolai Themen.
Wieder da, diesmal unverbeult.
Fahr aber erstmal die Trace 36 weiter.
Richtig krachen lassen geht aktuell sowieso nicht.

Servus!
Jemand eine empfehlung für einen Heckträger?
G1 in L sollte easy draufstehen und für ein weiteres Rad sollte platz sein 2 Räder reichen mehr Sitze hat das Auto eh nicht :D
Bei demälterem Thule eines Kollegen passt es nicht drauf nur mit Gabelumdrehen so möchte ich das aber auf dauer ungern.

Endlich vernünftige Leitungsführung für die HR-Bremse am G16 :D
Ich verstehe nach wie vor nicht, warum sie das nicht einfach so wie Geometron/Mojo gelöst haben.

Wenn's gut hält, mach ich das irgendwann nochmal in hübscher. Aber für den Moment passt das schon. :)

PXL_20220301_181018851.jpg

Ja ich weiß, hab auch noch g16 im Keller und am g19 war es ja auch.
Deswegen hab ich am G1 die außenliegenden Halterungen genommen. Könnte man doch auch sicher nachträglich am G16 anbauen, ist ja nur kleines Loch mit Gewinde

Ja ich weiß, hab auch noch g16 im Keller und am g19 war es ja auch.
Deswegen hab ich am G1 die außenliegenden Halterungen genommen. Könnte man doch auch sicher nachträglich am G16 anbauen, ist ja nur kleines Loch mit Gewinde

Glaub dafür fehlen mir die Eier, um in den Rahmen bzw. die Dämpferaufnahme zu bohren :D;)

Ich hab beim neuen G1 auch die „alte“ leitungsführung gewählt.. Finde die schöner/ die Leitungen liegen geschützter…
Und wegen dem Leitung öffnen, das macht man ja nur bei der Montage oder Demontage, nicht alle paar Tage..🤷🏼‍♂️

Nichts ist einfacher als eine Bremse zu entlüften, die nicht fest mit dem Bike verbunden ist. So mach ich jetzt paar Kabelbinder auf und kann das ganz entspannt mit einem Ersatzlenker im Montageständer machen :)
Bin da aber auch pragmatisch, Optik ist mir mehr oder weniger egal, siehe die Evoc Tasche mit Pumpe, Salamis, Schaltauge und co :D
d wegen dem Leitung öffnen, das macht man ja nur bei der Montage oder Demontage, nicht alle paar Tage..

Verstehe das schon. Beim G19 hat die Olive nicht unterm Hebel durchgepasst und man musste jedes Mal nen Stück kürzen. Beim G1 ist ja genug Platz und die Leitungen hängen in der Luft. Finde aussen trotzdem am Ende praktischer. Und hast noch paar schöne gefräste Halterungen

Kann man eigentlich die Führung für aussen am G1 nachrüsten wenn man die andere Version bestellt hat?
Ich sehe das Gewinde, dürfte eigentlich möglich sein.

Zurück
Oben Unten